StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

DOUBLE APPEAL: LEICESTER AND PREMIER LEAGUE BOTH CONTEST THE SIX-POINT DEDUCTION IN NEW TWIST

Leicester City and the Premier League have both appealed the six-point deduction. Discover why the Foxes want it scrapped now.

Double Appeal: Leicester and Premier League both contest the six-point deduction in new twist
Football world reacts to the legal war between Leicester and the PL

Leicester and the Premier League are both fighting their corners after the Foxes got hit with that six-point deduction. Now, Leicester want the whole thing scrapped, while the Premier League thinks the punishment didn’t go far enough.

Last month, Leicester lost those six points for breaking the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules during their 2023/24 promotion run. They blew past their allowed £83 million in losses over three years by almost £21 million. The club believes the penalty is over the top, at least according to The Telegraph.

Even though they won the championship under Enzo Maresca, things didn’t stay rosy for long. They dropped straight back down to the second tier the very next season, missing out on the extra cash and security that comes with Premier League status.

It gets messier. The Premier League has appealed a commission’s decision not to punish Leicester for filing its accounts late. There’s talk of an extra one-point deduction for that. The league says it’s only appealing that specific call, arguing Leicester should’ve faced more consequences for being late with their annual accounts.

Right now, Leicester are right in the thick of a relegation scrap in the Championship. The deduction leaves them 22nd and winless in their last seven games. They’re two points from safety, and without the penalty, they’d only be up to 19th, still in trouble. If another point gets taken away, they’ll slip below Oxford into 23rd, making survival even tougher.

On Wednesday, they brought in Gary Rowett as their manager until the end of the season. The chairman admitted the club was fighting for its life. Earlier in January, they fired Marti Cifuentes after just a few months.

The Premier League had wanted to dock Leicester 12 points or fine them £20 million, but the panel decided the club’s improving finances counted in their favour. Now, the league says the extra point penalty should go on top of the six points already taken, while Leicester argue they should just pay a fine and avoid any further sporting punishment.

MAJOR SPONSOR QUITS: TOTTENHAM FACE MULTI-MILLION POUND HIT AS KEY PARTNER WALKS AWAY

Football news: Tottenham sponsor cancels deal. Get the full report on the financial hit and the club's leadership vacuum.

top-news
One of Tottenham’s long-standing key partners officially pulls out this summer

Vincenzo Italiano couldn’t say enough good things about Santiago Castro after Bologna’s 1-0 win away at Brann in the Europa League play-off. “Tonight, I saw a really mature performance,” he said.

Bologna couldn’t have asked for a better start in Bergen’s icy weather. Castro caught everyone off guard with a sharp, angled shot that slipped past the keeper just nine minutes in.

They had chances to add more; Orsolini and Dallinga both forced good saves. On the other end, Skorupski had to pull off a tricky double stop when Brann finally threatened.

For Italiano, this felt like a turning point. “We had to adapt; there was no way around it. We knew it’d be tough, so we checked the pitch last night, even in the dark,” he told Sky Sport Italia. When they arrived from Italy on Wednesday, the floodlights weren’t even on for their media duties.

“We couldn’t do much more than that. No sense risking injuries. We got the win, but it’s just a one-goal advantage.”

He’s already looking ahead to the return leg at the Dall’Ara. Hopefully, we do better at home. Honestly, every time we play there lately, it feels like we’re cursed.”

That away win gives Bologna a solid edge heading into Thursday’s second leg.

Things weren’t looking great for them at the start of 2026. Just two wins in fourteen matches – it was rough. Now, after beating Torino 2-1 away in Serie A and tonight’s win, they finally have some momentum.

“These two wins gave us a boost. It’s tough keeping your spirits up when you’re losing all the time and playing every three days. It chips away at the confidence you’ve built up,” Italiano said.

“Tonight, the team played with real maturity. I hope this becomes our standard. Start with the right attitude, and stay focused. We’re not giving up as many chances now, and that’s the difference. We have to keep that up.”

Castro’s on fire too; he’s scored in three straight games and made a point of celebrating with his coach tonight.

“Santi brings something special. He’s hungry. You see it at every training session, every minute he’s on the pitch. He’s even talking football on the bus,” Italiano said.

“It’s a joy to work with young players who are this hungry and willing to help the team. I’m thrilled he’s scoring consistently now.

“He’s so mature for his age. As a centre-forward, he sacrifices a lot for the team off the ball. I always tell him that hard work pays off. Just keep at it.”

Back in November, when these teams faced off in the group stage, it finished 0-0. Bologna had more chances, even with ten men for over an hour. That draw stung; they barely missed out on direct qualification for the Europa League Round of 16.

“We played a tough match against Torino last week because we couldn’t afford another slip-up,” Italiano said.

“These guys showed focus, grit, and a willingness to sacrifice. That's all I want from now until the end of the season. We’ve paid dearly for mistakes and slipped in the Serie A standings, but we can turn things around, especially at home.”

NEWCASTLE AND SPURS CIRCLE IGOR THIAGO DESPITE HIS FRESH 2031 CONTRACT

Igor Thiago is staying! Discover why the Brentford star signed until 2031 and how he’s ignoring Spurs and Newcastle interest.

top-news
Thiago hits 17 goals in 26 games, chasing Haaland for Golden Boot

Igor Thiago’s loving life at Brentford after signing his new contract. He’s not thinking about leaving; he’s focused on helping the Bees chase big goals.

Brentford have climbed to seventh in the Premier League, and Thiago’s goals have played a huge part in that. If the season ended today, they’d be in the Conference League. That’s a big deal for the club, and for Thiago too.

Former Manchester United scout Mick Brown told Football Insider Thiago’s happy where he is. He’s not looking to leave, and Brentford aren’t pushing him out the door. His contract runs until 2031, with an option for another year, so if anyone wants him, they’ll have to cough up serious money.

Still, Brown admits things can change fast in football. If a big offer comes in this summer, Brentford might cash in. That’s just how the club operates: they develop players, sell them for the right price, and then find the next star. It’s worked for them before.

Thiago has scored 17 goals in 26 league games this season. No wonder clubs like Newcastle and Tottenham are keeping an eye on him. But right now, he’s settled in West London. He’s not pushing for a move, and Brentford aren’t under pressure to sell.

“He’s scoring goals, Brentford are climbing the table, and he’s just got a pay rise. What's not to like?” Brown said. “He’s happy, they’re happy, and if someone wants him, they’ll have to pay up. But there’s no rush.”

Tottenham, meanwhile, has been looking for new strikers, but Thiago isn’t going anywhere for now. Spurs have also been linked with Jean-Philippe Mateta and former Aston Villa forward John Duran.

Football Insider revealed Tottenham passed on Duran in January. Duran ended up on loan at Zenit after a short spell at Fenerbahçe, following his exit from Villa last year. Villa let him go because they weren’t sure about his attitude, even though he’s clearly talented. Others seem to have the same concerns.

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News